Recipe courtesy of chef Jonathan WaxmanChicken:
1 fresh free-range organic chicken (4 pounds)
sea salt, to taste
freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1 lemonSalsa Verde:
1/4 cup capers in salt
4 anchovy filets
3 cloves garlic
1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
1/2 cup chopped arugula
1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1/4 cup chopped tarragon
1/4 cup chopped fresh chives
1/4 cup chopped fresh sage
1 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
1. To make chicken: Heat oven to 450 F.
2. Wash chicken in hot water. Dry with paper towels.
3. Using kitchen shears, cut out backbone of chicken and remove any fat (this can be added to chicken stock). Using heavy chef’s knife, cut out breastbone. Season halves with sea salt and black pepper.
4. Place chicken halves, skin side up, on two sizzle platters and dab with olive oil. Cut lemon in half and place 1 half, cut side down, next to chicken on each platter.
5. Roast chicken 35 minutes, basting every 10 minutes. When done, remove chicken to platter and pour off excess fat. Cut each breast in half and cut the thigh from the leg. Serve with salsa verde (recipe below) and garnish with roasted lemon.
6. To make salsa verde: Soak capers in cold water 1 hour then drain.
7. Soak anchovies in cold water 15 minutes then pat dry and remove bones.
8. Using mortar and pestle, smash capers, anchovies and garlic, until smooth, then transfer to large bowl.
9. Add all herbs and olive oil. Season with sea salt.
Pair each serving with Angeline California Rosé of Pinot Noir.